I am a huge Ford fan. I’ve talked about my love for Ford and my Mustang many times. I recently attended the Ford Canada #FordFarmToCar Sustainability Breakfast at BConnected and I was blown away by what I learned! I had no idea my Mustang had seat cushions made with soy beans.
I learned that Ford is using food by-products in some of their vehicles! Ford is currently using the following items in cars:
- rice hulls
- wheat straw
The following are currently being tested by Ford:
- sugar cane
Attendees were treated to a special breakfast designed by Paula Roy. Paula is a well-known Ottawa food commentator and food editor of Ottawa at Home Magazine. She created a menu for the special breakfast that incorporated the ingredients that are being used by Ford in the production of its automobiles. Isn’t that cool?!
Here is the menu we sampled. Paula even provided the recipe for the Tropical Green Smoothie. It is listed below the photos.
Tropical Green Smoothies (cellulose, algae)
Yogurt Parfaits with Sustainable Muesli (prepared by the Muesli project) (coconut)
Breakfast Polenta with Spiced Apple Compote (corn)
Corn Muffins with Blueberry Cream Cheese Filling (wheat and corn)
Cane Syrup with Five Spice Glazed Pork Belly (sugar cane and soy)
Asian-Spiced Tomato and Egg Frittata with Pickled Bamboo Shoots (tomato and bamboo)
Fruit Summer rolls with berries/melon/lettuce/herbs in rice paper with spicy honey (rice)
Tropical Green Smoothie
• 1 cup fresh or frozen pineapple chunks
• 1 avocado, chopped
• 1 cup (2 handfuls) fresh spinach leaves, washed
• 1 ¼ cups regular or almond milk (if dairy free/vegan is required)
• 1 banana
• 1/4 teaspoon Chlorella (algae powder)
• 4 ice cubes
• fresh pineapple wedges, for garnish (optional)
• In a high-powered blender, process all ingredients until smooth. Serve cold.
The Ford Canada #FordFarmToCar Sustainability Breakfast was amazing. I love Ford even more 🙂
Latest posts by Ann (see all)
- Raising the Barre Before 50 – Part 1 - July 24, 2017
- 8 Delicious Ways to Use Your Juicer - July 21, 2017
- Relax, Breathe and Colour Your Way to a Calmer Life - July 19, 2017