Going to a Maple Bush has always been on my bucket list. For as long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to see the taps up close, watch the sap drip into the buckets and learn more about the production of maple syrup.
I was thrilled to visit Shaw’s Maple Bush during the Let’s Go Maple event in March. Shaw’s is located in Oro-Medonte, just a short drive from Orillia, Ontario. Shaw’s is a family owned business and has been producing maple syrup since 1904.
Tom Shaw, fifth generation owner, gave us a very informative talk about how maple syrup is produced. In February, workers start to prepare 75 acres with tubing that will collect each drop of sap and deliver it directly to the evaporator house. Shaw’s uses over 6000 taps in their maple bush!
- Only 10% of a tree’s sap is used in the production of maple syrup.
- Each tap collects approximately 30 – 40 litres of sap.
- The holes are not drilled deep into a tree since the sap flows into the outer layers of the bark. A tree is not harmed during the process.
- The sap starts to flow when the temperatures rise above freezing. Perfect conditions for sap to flow are freezing nights and warm days.
It was so exciting to see sap drip into a bucket! It is something I’ve always wanted to see in person.
After the sap arrives in the evaporator house, it is filtered and processed through reverse osmosis to remove some of the water, resulting in a concentrated sap. The sap then travels into an evaporator pan and starts the boiling process. Steam escapes and sap turns into syrup. The syrup is then filtered some more and packaged for sale.
Along with producing maple syrup, Shaw’s also has a pancake house on site! I was thrilled to get to sample some of their maple syrup with their delicious pancakes, sausage, and beans. It was the best maple syrup I’ve ever tasted. The pancake house is open 8 am to 4 pm daily in March and April.
There is also a gift shop on site where you can purchase delicious maple products made at Shaw’s Maple Bush. Go visit Shaw’s, enjoy a delicious pancake breakfast, go for a walk on the trails and enjoy horse-drawn wagon rides.
Shaw’s Pure Maple Products
493 Oro Line 14, South
Latest posts by Ann (see all)
- 10 Delicious Healthy Smoothies - April 30, 2017
- 50 Things To Do Before Turning 50 - April 15, 2017
- From Tree to Table: Behind the Lines of Maple Syrup Production - April 9, 2017