For 6 months a year, my parents go to Florida and live in a gated 55 plus community. A community that is safe, offers an endless list of activities/hobbies and is filled with friends who are like family. Every time I visit my parents, I enjoy the community so much that I always mention how much I would love to find such a community in Canada. Little did I know that such communities existed in Canada!
A couple weeks ago, I had the pleasure of visiting the Lakes of Wasaga Cottage & RV Resort. The resort is located minutes away from Wasaga Beach. This was my first visit to Wasaga Beach and I was blown away! Wasaga Beach is the longest freshwater beach in the word and the white sandy beach is 14 kms long. I immediately felt like I was in an oceanside beach town, like the ones I visit in Florida.
As soon as my road trip buddies and I pulled into the Lakes of Wasaga Cottage & RV Resort I knew we were in for a treat. We checked in at the office and received the code to the gate, fresh towels and sheets. Each chalet contains all other amenities you will need during your stay. As we entered the property we were struck by the cuteness of each chalet and the gorgeous landscaping around the resort. We entered the chalet and fell in love with the rustic and inviting decor.
The chalet had a stunning lanai. Can you imagine spending endless summer nights sitting here, reading a book and enjoying the warm breeze?
There are numerous picturesque lakes around the resort that are begging you to relax and enjoy some quiet time or quality time with friends.
The resort also has an indoor pool, 4 outdoor pools, mini-golf and other fun activities for families. Thanks to all the amenities in the chalet, my friends and I made a tasty meal and then chatted until bedtime. We all had a great sleep thanks to the fresh country air.
The next morning, we visited Wasaga Meadows, an adult orientated community located across the street. This popular adult community features modern fully bricked exterior townhomes, all on one level. The community is well maintained and you can tell there is pride of ownership. In the centre of the community is a community centre with a nice outdoor patio. The centre is frequently used by the residents for events and group enjoying common hobbies.
During our tour, we saw residents walking around the community and we were invited to visit the home of a retired couple. The couple spends the winters in Florida and live in Wasaga Meadows during the spring and summer months. Their home was stunning and decorated in beach decor. It was a spacious 2 bedroom townhome, perfect for couples or singles downsizing from a larger home.
I know many people who are thinking about retirement and who also share my dream of living in an adult orientated community in a beach town. I am so excited to share the Parkbridge communities with them. There are several affordable Parkbridge communities across Canada and there is a community to suit everyone.
What is Land Leasing:
Land leasing is a concept that has been around for a long time and is what makes housing so affordable in Parkbridge communities. This form of home ownership is affordable as it allows the residents to own the home without having to buy the land. The homeowners do not need all the upfront capital required with buying a traditional home.
Since Parkbridge owns the land, they provide full grounds service including snow removal of roads and driveways; curbside garbage and recycling pick up; lawn maintenance; and maintenance of common areas.
As a widow who will be an empty nester in a couple years and thinking about downsizing, I was particularly interested in visiting Wasaga Meadows and getting a feel for the community. As soon as I saw groups of women walking around (also some driving golf carts), I knew this was for me!
Things I love about Wasaga Meadows:
- The community is extremely clean and you can tell everyone takes great pride in their homes. Residents are allowed to personalize the exteriors of their homes within guidelines.
- We met residents walking around and they were welcoming and friendly. You could feel the sense of community.
- Security is important to Parkbridge and that ranks are one of my main concerns and why I am drawn to living in a community.
- There is an active social scene including numerous activities and groups. There is also access to hiking trails, swimming pools and the beach.
- A sense of community which is great for single people (or anyone) who want don’t want to feel alone.
- Affordable housing option for many people.
I am thrilled that I discovered Wasaga Meadows and Parkbridge Communities. As I mentioned earlier in my post, I am looking for a community that is safe, offers an endless list of activities/hobbies and is filled with friends who are like family. I feel like I found that and I am one step closer to my dream of living 6 months in an adult orientated beach community in Canada and the other 6 months in a similar community in Florida!
- A Canada company that is a leading owner, operator and developer of land lease communities.
- Parkbridge owns and operates over 120 residential and retirement communities across Canada.
- Since 1998, Parkbridge has been providing vibrant, and attainable communities for Canadians to live, retire and vacation.
- Fantastic options for snowbirds.
I attended a blogger’s weekend at Parkbridge Resorts Lakes of Wasaga. This post contains my honest opinions.
Have you thought about retirement? What are your retirement plans?
Latest posts by Ann (see all)
- 13 Fun Facts About Key West - January 23, 2018
- Colour Your Way to a KickAss Life - January 2, 2018
- Porter Airlines Flies Direct to Melbourne, Florida - November 30, 2017